Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Training Day

I had newcomer staff today and as usual my expectation was high. She had to walk, talk and think as fast as i do, regardless of the fact that she had zero legal experience. Tough? Very. Cos if she doesnt talk or walk as fast then i'd have to do her work instead, and take the blame for shoddy work. High expectations? Very. Easy? NO. Possible? Need to try.

So i decided to take a different perspective. Nowadays i sit next to my staff, and teach them like ABC. I never scream as i know, people, like me, cannot learn fast when they are intimidated. Or frustrated and irritated. They will have (create) imaginary conversations in their head and they cant focus when they are frighten. So, really scream is not the way to go. I hate screamers.

I did start training Mr A, using the tough-easy way. I was firm with him, scolded him (not scream) for his mistakes but at the same time i simultaneously teach him how to do the tasks correctly, fast and efficiently. I sat next to him, like a teacher in a kindergarten, walked with him to search for files, basically spoonfed him. Some spoonfeeding is required at times when you need one to progress fast. He showed excellent progress in 1 month, and i think that is so much better than 90% marks. We have a good interaction, and he knows when i mean business, or when i am ok to take a little joke.

I think ive reached that halfway mark. My expectations are high, but i can take it when some just needs to take it slow, one at a time. Just like ABC.

No comments:

Post a Comment